In this information age, businesses of all sizes rely heavily on data to run their operations. Data has become so important that it is often referred to as being a critical business resource. As a leading IT services provider in Denver, we know this critical resource can easily be stolen or lost. Businesses hold important data, including customer credit and personal information, financial data, trade secrets, and intellectual property. The critical and sensitive nature of this data necessitates that you partner with a dedicated managed service provider (MSP) to ensure your data is always safe.
Defining Data Loss Prevention
Data loss prevention (DLP) is a process which identifies your firm’s critical data, then tracks it as it moves throughout the firm to prevent unauthorized access by creating and enforcing disclosure policies for staff at all levels.
Why DLP Matters
Corporate data is valuable; this fact is very clear both to you as a business owner and to hackers who will go to any length to get their hands on your data. It is, therefore, up to you to ensure your critical data is secured. Securing data at the corporate level might be difficult, this is further complicated by the:
- Rapidly changing compliance regulations;
- Fact that employees are allowed to bring their own devices to work;
- Growth of workforce mobility; and
- Increased cases of data breach incidents and advanced persistent threats.
Causes of Data Loss
To come up with the best data loss prevention plan and execute tailored countermeasures, it is important for you to start by understanding the causes of the problem. In our experience as an IT services provider in Denver, we have found five main causes of data loss:
- Human error
- Hardware malfunctions
- Computer viruses and malware
- Software corruption
- Natural disasters
Advantages of Data Loss Protection
Firms that have embraced DLP enjoy a number of advantages, such as:
- Avoiding accidental exposure of their critical data to third parties by employees;
- Tracking data across the firm to ensure it does not fall on the wrong hands; and
- Protection from costly lawsuits and loss of reputation and credibility.
Need Help with Your DLP?
At AccountabilIT, Inc., we are a dedicated IT services provider in Denver ready to help you draft a DLP strategy that will work for you. Contact us now to know how we can help you.